Wednesday 17 July 2013

Grandad Williamson on night patrol



As the strength of the section got lower and as we had to find a double sentry and a one man patrol during the night this meant one hour on and one hour off for the sentries and an all night patrol, usually me, when our number dropped down to five privates.  In Natal darkness there quickly follows dusk so I used to get out as soon as the Boer positions were not visible.

The railway from the Orange Free State ran about midway between the two opposing positions and for the first two hours out I used to find cover and watch, then I would move along parallel with the track but not on it, sometimes only a few yards between stops.  Out there between the two lines on your own with good hearing and sharp eyes you do not miss much and that is how it was with me. 

Sometimes but not very often, I would meet the patrol from the company on our left.  At the beginning of the meetings the one who saw the other first would wait doggo until by some move or sound he would decide that the other man was on his side and whisper, then he would join up and have a whispered conversation.  He would do most of the whispering, I used to do the listening and grinning.  He told me of one escapade he had had:-

The level crossing gates were on his patrol and being a little mischievous and having a windy officer in charge of the company he belonged to, he went in very early one morning and reported the Boers massing near the crossing gates.  The Officer stood the Company to arms until daybreak but there was no attack because there had been no Boers there.  The patrol got out of it by saying that it must have been a strong Boer patrol but the lads of the Company were not at all pleased – they knew Dag the scout.

I personally never saw a Boer on one of those night patrols but there were some about because one morning I was late getting back to the safety of our own lines and didn’t I get a peppering – fortunately it was long range shooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment